Oprah Winfrey’s Unfried Chicken
6 chicken drumsticks
6 chicken breast halves
3 1/2 cups ice water (875 mL)
1 cup plain nonfat yogurt (250 mL)
1 cup dried Italian bread crumbs (250 mL)
1 cup all-purpose flour (250 mL)
1 tablespoon Old Bay seasoning (15 mL)
1/2 teaspoon each: garlic powder, thyme, basil, oregano (2 mL)
1/8 teaspoon black pepper (0.5 mL)
1. Remove skin from chicken. Place chicken in large bowl with ice water.
2. Put yogurt into medium bowl. Set aside. Spray a baking sheet with vegetable oil.
Directions for Breading:
1. Combine all ingredients in large tight-sealing bag; shake to mix. Remove two pieces of chicken from ice water. Roll each piece in yogurt. Put chicken into plastic bag, seal and shake, coating thoroughly.
2. Transfer breaded chicken to oiled baking sheet. Repeat until all 12 pieces are breaded. Spray chicken lightly with vegetable oil. Place baking sheet on bottom shelf of 400 degree F (200 degree C) oven and bake for 1 hour, turning pieces every 20 minutes for even browning.
3. Serve hot or at room temperature.